To qualify as a candidate you must:
- be a resident of the Commonwealth for one year immediately preceding the election.
- be a resident of the County of Louisa for one year prior to the date of the election.
- be qualified to vote for and hold the office for which one offers to stand for election.
- comply with all filing requirements.
Prospective Candidates may order or download a Candidate Information Bulletin and candidate qualification forms directly from the Virginia Department of Elections (ELECT) by calling 1-800-552-9745.
This bulletin provides:
- filing forms and deadlines.
- legal requirements and penalties for failure to comply.
- information on other required forms (especially campaign financial filings).
- answers to frequently asked questions about elections and candidates.
After reading the Candidate Information Bulletin, feel free to contact the General Registrar's office for further explanation and for any questions.