Land Disturbance

Any time you clear, grade, excavate, or transport soil, you are causing a land disturbance. These changes may result in soil erosion from water or wind. A land disturbing permit allows landowners to move areas of dirt, construction or roadway over 10,000 square feet in size. Both the Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) and Louisa County require this permit. The landowner must submit a set of erosion and sediment control plans to the County, ensuring that the land will be protected from erosion onto other property, state roads, and nearby waterways and wetlands. A pre-construction meeting with County staff is required for land disturbance projects. Most individual house builders can avoid the requirements of a land disturbing permit, but please view the Responsible Land Disturber FAQs (PDF) document to be certain.


Beginning December 31, 2022, all Erosion & Sediment Control Plan review and approvals for Louisa County will be conducted in-house by the Louisa County Community Development Department.

For Erosion & Sediment Control Plan review and approvals, please contact Kris Nelson at

For Lake Anna Shoreline Plan review and approvals, please contact Tom Egeland at

Or you can call their office at (540) 967-3430.