Nigerian Letter or 419
Named for the violation of Section 419 of the Nigerian Criminal Code, the 419 scam combines the threat of impersonation fraud with a variation of an advance fee scheme in which a letter, email, or fax is received by the potential victim.
- Be cautious when additional fees are requested to further the transaction.
- Be cautious when dealing with individuals outside of your own country.
- Be wary of individuals representing themselves as foreign government officials.
- Beware when asked to assist in placing large sums of money in overseas bank accounts.
- Do not believe the promise of large sums of money for your cooperation.
- Do not reply to emails asking for personal banking information.
- Guard your account information carefully.
- If the "opportunity" appears too good to be true, it probably is.