The unauthorized use of a credit/debit card, or card number, to fraudulently obtain money or property is considered credit card fraud. Credit/debit card numbers can be stolen from unsecured websites, or can be obtained in an identity theft scheme.
- Beware of providing credit card information when requested through unsolicited emails.
- Do your research to ensure legitimacy of the individual or company.
- Don't trust a site just because it claims to be secure.
- Ensure a site is secure and reputable before providing your credit card number online.
- If purchasing merchandise, ensure it is from a reputable source.
- Only use one credit card (not debit card) for Internet transactions.
- Promptly reconcile credit card statements to avoid unauthorized charges.
Visit the website of any of the 3 credit bureaus Equifax
, or TransUnion
, for more information or to place a fraud alert on your credit report. If you need to obtain your yearly free credit reports from each of these agencies view the Free Credit Reports page