Floodplains and Flood Maps

Flood Insurance Rate Map Revision

A Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) revision for Louisa County has been issued by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Flood maps are used for floodplain management, mitigation, and insurance purposes.

To view the most recently received Letter of Map Revision (LOMR) for Louisa County from FEMA, please click here.

LOMR information can be accessed hereFEMA's maps for the County are available hereand an interactive map showing the most recent changes is online here.


Floodplain / Flood Insurance in Louisa County
Louisa does not participate in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).  Answers to frequently asked questions regarding related concerns are below.

Is my property in the floodplain?
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) floodplain maps are available online at https://msc.fema.gov/portal.  The County’s Geographic Information System (GIS) (https://louisagis.timmons.com) includes an overlay of the FEMA map.  Please note that online maps are an approximation only.  A surveyor can help you precisely determine floodplain boundaries as they relate to your property.

Why does the County not participate in the program?
FEMA recently required localities to adopt updated floodplain ordinances which govern the development and activities which can take place in land classified as floodplain.  The updated ordinance would have placed significant additional restrictions in effect.  The County’s Board of Supervisors considered the issue over a period of several months in 2016 and worked with FEMA in an effort to reduce the restrictions.  Public meetings regarding the issue took place several times (June 6, July 5, September 6, and October 3).  Numerous citizens voiced their concerns with errors in the federal floodplain maps as well as opposition to the required changes, which the Board did not elect to adopt.

Can I still obtain flood insurance?
Private flood insurance is available.

There are issues with the floodplain mapping as it applies to my property.  What do I do?
Request a Letter of Map Revision (LOMR) from FEMA.  This requires a surveyor, who can assist you in the process.