Rezoning Information

Whenever public necessity, convenience, general welfare or good zoning practice require, the County may amend the official zoning map and current zoning classification.  Any amendment may be initiated by a petition by a property owner or contract owner, motion of the Planning Commission, or by resolution of the Board of Supervisors.

Below are frequently asked questions about the rezoning process.

Where do I apply for a rezoning request?

The Community Development Department receives and coordinates all requests for rezoning.  Once all of the necessary information is compiled the application is formally filed in the Community Development Center.

Return to top

What do I need to apply?

Prior to initiating any rezoning request, a pre-application conference must be arranged with the Community Development staff to discuss request feasibility and petition format.

Once it has been determined that the rezoning request is feasible, an application containing the following information must be prepared:

  1. Description of purpose for the rezoning and proposed use;
  2. Concept plan indicating proposed development on the site;
  3. Map of area requested for rezoning;
  4. Names, signatures, and owners’ addresses of the properties included in the proposed change; and
  5. Names, addresses and official tax numbers of owners of properties immediately adjacent and directly opposite the property where the rezoning is proposed.

Following completion of the checklist, the application, fees (as outlined) and checklist are filed in the Community Development Center. 

Return to top

What happens after the application is filed?

After the application for the rezoning is filed with the Community Development Department, the process of notification and review begins.  The subject property is posted with a zoning sign, and all adjoining property owners are notified by mail of public meetings related to the application.  At the same time, a review of the request by various County departments and or State agencies is underway.

An informational meeting will be held to give neighbors or neighborhood organizations the opportunity to present and discuss possible concerns related to the proposed rezoning. 

The Community Development Department prepares a report and recommendation for the Development Review Committee’s and Planning Commission's consideration.  Upon request, the staff report is made available to interested citizens.

Before the Planning Commission meeting, a notice of a public hearing is published as a legal ad in the newspaper.

Return to top

What happens at the Planning Commission’s public hearing?

The Planning Commission meeting is an open public forum.  The public hearing is held for the purpose of presenting a rezoning request and hearing opinions for or against the request.  The format for the presentation at the hearing is as follows:

  1. The staff presents the report and recommendation.
  2. The applicant presents the request.
  3. The Commission hears opinions from the audience.
  4. The applicant may rebut.
  5. The Commission discusses the request and may take any of the following actions:
    Recommend that the Board of Supervisors approve, deny, defer or table the application.
Return to top

What does the Board of Supervisors do with my request?

Upon receiving the Planning Commission's recommendation, the Board of Supervisors holds a public hearing similar in format to the Planning Commission.  The Board of Supervisors has final authority to approve or deny the request.  If the request is approved, development can proceed upon approval of a building permit and/or site plan, if required.  If the request is denied, no similar rezoning request can be filed for a period of 12 months.

Return to top

How long does the process take?

From the application filing date to final public hearing by the Board of Supervisors, the rezoning process normally takes approximately 90-120 days.

Return to top

How much does all this cost?

The application fee for a rezoning is  $1000.00 + $10/acre. Please note: There will be a $20.00 fee charged per adjacent/adjoining property owner for notification and advertisement.  An additional $50.00 will be charged for each request as a deposit on a zoning sign and will be refunded upon the return of the sign by the applicant once the request has been acted upon.     

Return to top

How long is a rezoning valid?

Once the Board of Supervisors approves the rezoning, it is valid until the next time it is changed by the Board of Supervisors.  A rezoning runs with the property not the owner, thus remains valid even after changes in the property ownership.

For more information concerning rezoning, please see the Louisa County Rezoning Permits page.

Return to top